Into the Light | East Bay Interfaith Community Gathering
June 27, 2021 @ 5:00 pm - 6:30 pm| Free
Join us in solidarity and support so that together we can remember those lives lost to COVID-19 and celebrate our collective rebirth and renewal.
5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. | Sunday, June 27 | Parking Lot of MCC East Bay, 5724 W. Las Positas Blvd., Pleasanton
We are gathering to mourn the victims of the horrific yearlong pandemic on our community.
The Coronavirus caused millions of deaths and disrupted billions of lives globally.
Group worship was also disrupted, but the outbreak has bolstered the religious faith of many faithful and opened opportunities to pray and to serve our community with food, medical supplies, and more.
Disasters and crises have a way of making some question the existence of a greater force for good in the world and others to become more religious in the wake of tragedy.
As we look forward to better days, we reflect on the intersection of faith, a pandemic, a historic social movement.
- Hina Khan-Mukhtar: Emcee welcome
MCC East Bay
- Hafiz Ameen Mukhtar: Opening Muslim prayer
MCC East Bay
- Wendy Jacobson: Opening meditative prayer and lighting of a candle
Holy Cross Episcopal Church, Castro Valley
- TBD: Virus’ impact on medical personnel and ongoing response
Frontline healthcare worker
- Sara Lamnin & Trish Munro, impact and response by City of Hayward and City of Livermore, respectively
Hayward City Council & Livermore City Council
- Bishop Robert Lopez & Munir Safi: Personal impact of virus on their family and healing from the pain
Mar Thoma Orthodox Church, Northridge & MCC East Bay
- Jaime Ireland: Poem of memory for those lost to this virus
Tri-Valley Cultural Jews, Pleasanton
- Leslie Mero: Memorial prayer and thanksgiving for days ahead
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Hayward
- Linda Hirschhorn, Song: “Healing-Coming out of Brokenness”
Temple Beth Sholom, San Leandro
- Representative TBD: Prayer of healing drawing from the prayers of St. Francis
Our Lady of Grace Catholic Church, Castro Valley
- Rene Castle: Prayer of peace
Starr King Universalist Church, Hayward
- Soni Kaur, Gagan Singh & Manjeev Singh from Sikh Choir: Hymn and song musically expressed in the Sikh faith
Gurdwara Sahib, Hayward