Contra Costa Interfaith Housing CCIH Opportunities for Involvement
We need your help.
Interested in helping run a summer day camp for one week? We are currently putting together summer programming for kids (toddler through middle school), and we need your help. Many of these kids are formerly homeless or very low-income. In the past, volunteers (teens and adults) have organized small groups to host different “camps”. These activities take place at our housing sites (Pleasant Hill, Concord and Pittsburg) for a couple hours/day for 1-4 days during the week. Some examples include: hosting a four day dance camp; art camp; putting on a science camp; hosting a music camp. Feel free to call and discuss ideas or just offer general help to an already formed camp week. All camps are supervised by on-site CCIH staff.
Become a Volunteer Tutor: We are looking for compassionate individuals to help in our afterschool Homework Club that goes from August through June. Volunteers are needed at our Pleasant Hill, Concord, Bay Point and Pittsburg locations to help provide academic support to children from extremely low-income homes in grades K-12. Commitment is one afternoon per week. High school juniors and seniors encouraged to apply as well.
Provide a Meal for a Monthly Resident Meeting: These community meetings are essential in building community, reinforcing resident roles as community stakeholders, and allowing residents to learn important skills needed to continually improve their lives. Volunteer groups prepare, serve, and share a meal for 35-40 people. Families, congregations, service clubs, and other groups are encouraged. MAY is in need of a sign-up. Please visit this website to sign-up: www.tinyurl.com/ovepnva
Seeking In-Kind Donations:
- Diapers of all sizes (pool diapers too) for families in our programs at all 4 sites; Feminine hygiene products
- Butane canisters for portable cooktops in our Lakeside Apartments community room where kids enjoy summer programs and Homework Club help.
- Cleaning supplies for our Scattered Site clients (Comet; Windex; Simple Green, buckets; mops; etc.) Our clients are doing well at keeping their units clean and need support as they have little discretionary funds to purchase cleaning supplies.
- Throughout the year, we provide incentive prizes to students for good report cards or demonstrating good school habits. We hand out $5 Starbucks cards to high school students and $5 Jamba Juice cards to all-aged students
Furnishing Volunteers: We need your help to make families feel at home. Our furnishings program provides homeless families with necessary basics of a dignified home. You can help by providing your time to furnish these apartments or pick up needed items. We are also looking for a volunteer to head-up this effort. Current furnishings volunteer positions:
- Inventory Helpers
- Access to a truck? Transportation/Hauling Volunteer during weekdays
- Furnishing Set-up Volunteer during weekdays
Volunteer/Outreach Steering Committee: Be a part of this dynamic and growing group of congregation representatives and community volunteers who provide ongoing guidance, support, and ideas for CCIH’s current volunteer and outreach programs. We meet six times per year in the evenings.
Contact Gloria Bertolozzi at email@example.com.
Volunteer & Outreach Manager
Contra Costa Interfaith Housing
399 Taylor Blvd, Ste. 115 Pleasant Hill, CA 94523